8/27/09

Mexican Skillet Rice

3/4 pound lean ground pork or beef (I use beef)
1 medium onion, chopped
1-1/2 Tbs. chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups cooked brown rice (white works also) instant not so good
1 (16 ounce) can pinto or black beans, drained (I don't drain)
2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chillies
1 cup of your favorite salsa
Fresh cilantro sprig for garnish :)

Cook meat in large skillet over medium-high heat until brown, stirring to crumble; drain. Return meat to skillet. Add onion, chili powder, cumin and salt; cook until onion is soft but not brown. (I cook my onion with my meat) Stir in rice, beans, salsa and chilies; thoroughly heat.
Serve immediately. My family likes to put it in tortillas and eat it burrito style. It tastes great by itself also.

This recipe is a great way to use leftover rice. I intentionally cook a couple of cups of rice extra just to have it for this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment